© Benoit Stichelbaut / Cheminées Poujoulat
Everybody in the sailing world knows well that the "Vendèe Globe" is a very very hard adventure but who could imagine that after one day of race almost a third of the boats had to go back to Les Sables d'Olonne with serious damages? The weather has been very bad since the start with winds up to 50 knots.
- Alex Thompson's HUGO BOSS suffered damage to the hull
- Kito de Pavant's GROUPE BEL dismasted
- Yannick Bestaven's AQUARELLE.COM dismasted
- Derek Hatfield's ALGIMOUSS SPIRIT OF CANADA suffered electrical problems
- JeanBaptiste Dejeanty's GROUPE MAISONNEUVE had a deck panel damaged in the bad weather.
- Michel Desjoyeaux's FONCIA had problems with his electrics after a leak in the ballast system, which left Foncia’s engine flooded
- Dominic Wavre's TEMENOS returned soon after the start with electrical problems
- Bernard Stamm's CHEMINEES POUJOULAT has also been forced to turn back after a collision with a fishing boat damaged his bowsprit.
Check VENDEEGLOBE.ORG to read constantly updated news
© Jacques Vapillon / DPPI / Vendée Globe
© Mark Lloyd / DPPI
© Vincent Curutchet/DPPI/DPPI/Vendée Globe
Cheminees Poujoulat's damaged bowsprit